Killer hot-smoked salmon slaw
By delicious. – Source
April 12, 2022
- 1 firmly packed cup (250g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250g) salt flakes
- 500g skinless salmon fillet, pin-boned
- 1/2 cup apple wood smoking chips (from barbecue stores)
- 1/3 cup (50g) unsalted roasted peanuts, finely crushed, plus extra chopped to serve
- 2 small red chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tbs grated palm sugar
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 each red cabbage and red onion, sliced
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- 1 cup each Thai basil and coriander leaves
First, combine sugar and salt in a bowl. Next, spread half over the base of a non-reactive container with a lid. Then, add the salmon and cover with remaining curing mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour or up to 6 hours to cure.
Second, wipe off most of curing mix from salmon with paper towel, leaving a thin layer on bottom and top of salmon (this will caramelise as it smokes).
After that, line a wok with foil and add wood chips. Place over high heat until smoking. Put salmon on a greased wire rack and set inside wok. The next thing to do is to cover with a lid and smoke for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low and smoke for a further 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside, still covered, for 5 minutes to cool slightly and continue smoking in residual heat, then flake.
- Combine crushed peanut, chilli, palm sugar, fish sauce and lime zest and juice in a bowl.
Finally, toss cabbage, onion, snow pea and carrot with dressing, then divide among plates with herbs and top with salmon and extra peanuts.
More recipes aside from hot-smoked salmon to maintain a healthy lifestyle!!!
Sharing is caring!