Egg noodles with Sichuan pepper chicken and cucumber
By BY VALLI LITTLE– Source
November 19, 2021
- 3 x 180g chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup (165ml) light soy sauce
- 2 x 1cm-thick slices ginger
- 11/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 bunch spring onions
- 500g fresh thin egg noodles
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Chinese sesame paste (from Asian grocers)
- 2 tbs Chinese black vinegar (chinkiang)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Coriander leaves, white sesame seeds and pickled green chillies (from Asian grocers), to serve
GREEN CHILLI OIL
- 2 long green chillies, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, choppe
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 3/4 cup (180ml) peanut oil
- 1.For the green chilli oil, combine all the ingredients except peanut oil in a food processor with 1/2 tsp salt and whiz to a rough paste. Add peanut oil and whiz until smooth. Set aside for 20 minutes to infuse. Strain through a muslin-lined sieve.
- 2.Place chicken, 1/2 cup (125ml) soy sauce, ginger, 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, star anise and chopped spring onions in a pan. Add enough water to just cover, then bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes to cook through. Remove chicken, reserving 2 tbs poaching liquid, and slice. Set aside.
- 3.Meanwhile, cook noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and refresh in iced water. Combine cucumber and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to remove excess water. Drain, then combine with rice vinegar.
- 4.Combine with the sesame paste, black vinegar, sugar, reserved poaching liquid and remaining 2 tbs soy sauce. Toss the sauce with the noodles.
- 5.Divide noodles, chicken and cucumber among bowls. Drizzle over chilli oil and top with coriander and sesame seeds. Serve with pickled chillies on the side.
Sharing is caring!