Ready in 15 minutes, this couscous salad uses sumac and preserved lemons to deliver an authentic Middle Eastern flavour.
- 1¼ cups pearl couscous (see tips)
- 2 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ¹⁄³ cup roasted capsicum strips in brine, drained, chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, thinly sliced
- 2oz baby rocket leaves
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat hummus
- 2 preserved lemons, rind only, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- sumac, to sprinkle (see tips)
1. Cook couscous in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain couscous and refresh under cold water. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the chicken, the carrot, capsicum, coriander, onion, the chilli and rocket; toss ingredients to combine.
3. Whisk the yoghurt, hummus and 1 tablespoon of water in a small jug. Spoon couscous salad onto serving plates and drizzle with the hummus dressing. Top with the preserved lemon and pistachio. Sprinkle with sumac.
Pearl couscous – also known as Israeli couscous – is made from semolina and can be used in place of pasta
You can find sumac in the spice aisle in most supermarkets or order it online.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Sharing is caring!