I’ve been vegetarian for a year now, and I am loving it! For those of you who enjoy plant-based meals, it’s important to ensure that you are getting the right nutrition, including enough plant-based protein, to support your training and overall health.
When looking at your food choices, you need to consider your micronutrients, which are vitamins and minerals, as well as your macronutrients, which are the fats, proteins and carbohydrates that you eat. Including plenty of fruits and vegetables in your meals is the best way to make sure you’re getting a good mix of micronutrients!
This Green Bowl contains rice (or quinoa) for carbohydrates, greens for your micronutrients, and tofu for protein, making it a nutritionally balanced meal you can have for lunch or dinner.
- 4 oz (120g) brown rice (or quinoa)
- 6 tsp olive oil
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 6 oz (180g) broccoli
- 12 oz (340g) firm tofu
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Lemon juice to taste
1. If you’re using quinoa, make sure to rinse thoroughly before cooking. Bring the rice or quinoa and 14 fl oz (400ml) of water to the boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20–25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice or quinoa is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat and add half of the olive oil. Add the asparagus and broccoli and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Re-heat the same pan over medium heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the tofu and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden in colour, gently stirring. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve, place the rice or quinoa in a serving bowl and top with the asparagus, broccoli and tofu. Squeeze over lemon juice to taste and enjoy!
Sharing is caring!